If you understand the logic behind the UAW Local 23 and its refusal to allow a vote on an offer by JD Norman Industries regarding the GM stamping plant in Indianapolis, please explain it to me. I consider myself a pretty smart, but I can’t figure this one out.
The facts are pretty simple, in order to keep the plant from closing Norman Industries offered to purchase it from GM, but there would have to be some concessions made. The Union has reportedly said no and will not allow a vote, claiming they would have to take a pay cut and under master union rules, they are allowed to go elsewhere for the same pay and benefits.
Justin Norman, CEO of JD Norman Industries spoke to us in the media today saying the proposal he put before the union is more involved than that. He said there are several options on the table for current plant employees which include the following…
1. If an employee does not want to work for JD Norman, they have the option to transfer to another plant, just like they would if it would shut down.
2. Retirement eligible employees are allowed to take advantage of their full retirement from GM and take a job with JD Norman.
3. An employee can take a job with JD Norman, while being on the list for a job at another plant,
4. An employee who is not eligible for retirement would be guaranteed a job with JD Norman.
5. All the plant’s temporary employees would be offered full-time employment with benefits.
Norman also says he is not demanding a 50% across the board wage cut, but instead a wide range of base salaries would be offered to employees and skilled trade workers, who make up about 40% of the plant population, will make more than $50,000 per yer.Now correct me if I’m wrong, but if my choice is being out a job or having one of those options listed above, in this economy, I’m taking the option that applies to me.
I don’t understand the union mentality. I can’t imagine what the local union could possibly thinking. But then again, maybe the reason I can’t imagine it because I’m not in union leadership and have been cursed with this thing called a brain and the ability to use it.