The PlayStation 3 has come a LONG way & it has been a journey of ups & downs, amelioration, as well as calamity. There have been quite a number of system updates that were released in order to fix things such as minor inconveniences, bugs, add new software, or interface features. In fact, one of the latest system updates from the PSN included a “Video Editor” for recording video from a USB camera and then editing it straight from the PS3 to a social networking website or public viewing website such as Google or YouTube. But, even with all the various improvements installed into the system, fans of the PSN are still hungry for MORE! So I interviewed a couple of locals in Baltimore who own PlayStation 3’s and asked them what new system installments they think should be released to make the console even better. And after analyzing these “fan updates”, I think that they would vastly improve convenience for PlayStation 3 users everywhere! Check ’em out!
1. IN-GAME MUSIC:
- So sometimes, when your playing certain video games, the music that’s provided might not always ignite your thirst for tearing someone’s right forearm off or send adrenaline surging through your veins getting you to CRUSH the R2 button in a race, getting you to that extra centimeter of victory!
- Incorporating hard drive installed music into any video game (not just a few, and is only a SMALL AMOUNT of video games that provide this feature!) would really add a sense of personalization that many gamers look for in the games they play. It could be included in parts such as:
- During “free roam” time periods.
- As non-cutscene backdrop music.
- Even at miniscule times such as during loading screens or the in-game Start menu.
- It all depends on the type of video game and when the user’s music could be inserted without interfering with the game’s normal functions.
2. MORE “PLAYSTATION PLUS” MEMBERSHIP FEATURES:
- Although “PS Plus” members do have quite a few features about this franchise that are a bit more appealing than what is already offered to general PSN users, it would truly make it worth the subscription fee if it included things that truly separate this program from its free counterpart.
- New features could include things such as:
- Faster download speeds.
- The ability to download items while simultaneously accessing online game modes (basically increased bandwidth allowance)
- Private online servers.
- Of course there’s more, but just inputting these updates alone into the system would indefinitely please a LOT of “PlayStation Plus” members, as well as encourage more users to make the switch!
3. XMB (Xross Media Bar) Internet & Menu Browser Multi-Tasking:
- Now, while the XMB menu does allow you to do certain tasks while in the midst of a game or access to the Internet, it does not allow you to do other specific tasks that, if it did, would make browsing convenience really…well, convenient!
- A couple innovative suggestions for a multi-tasking abilities include:
- Being able to access the Internet browser while playing a video game (non-Online play of course due to the bandwidth limit!). This could really prove to be EXTREMELY useful for times in a game where you could be stuck on a certain part & want to get on the Internet to find out ways to overcome this obstacle or you could be attempting to locate in-game collectible items for PSN Trophy Hunting and you need to browse the Internet to watch a YouTube video of where all the collectibles are located!
- The ability to change your System Settings during gameplay without having to exit.
- The ability to download & install in-game updates or add-on’s from the “PlayStation Store” without having to exit the game first to restart it.
- The ability to access Game Data from the current game you are playing. This would be useful because sometimes you do not have the ability to delete save game data or game data from within the game. This would eliminate the inconvenience of restarting the game especially if you are trying out managing multiple saves for a patch update release or constant restarting of the game would result in wasted time.
- As well all know, time management is very important to gamers and ANYONE for that matter. Not everyone has access to multiple forms of information retrieval. Sometimes, the PlayStation 3 might be the only convenient and accessible way of logging onto the Internet. NOBODY wants to sit around, wasting gameplay time, trying to gather info, as well as, continuously restarting the browser to get what’s necessary.
Overall, these “fan updates” were truly groundbreaking ideas from PSN users just like you. These ideas, if innovated, would make a HUGE difference in the way that gamers play their video games, as well as utilize the many systematic features of the PlayStation 3 console. Updates like these would absolutely set us apart from the rest of the bunch of next-gen consoles & put us ahead of the competition. These installments would definitely not go unnoticed & would be entirely useful…unlike LAME impractical updates such as making the default “smokey trail” dynamic background of the PS3, extra sparkly!
For more info: So, if you guys have any “fan updates” that you would like for me to mention or write an article about check out the links below or leave a comment!
To keep up with Chris’s discussions, click the “Subscribe” button above. Also, you can personally follow him on Facebook. If you have any questions or would like one of YOUR ideas to be included in one of his upcoming articles, then e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org! Game on!