Tonight’s easy meal is inspired by the flavors of the Andalusian region in southern Spain and the exquisite aromas from the sherry, cumin and turmeric will have your mouth watering in no time. Take advantage of the specials this week at Cosentino’s for boneless, skinless chicken breasts to make this meal not only easy to make but easy on your wallet as well. For the complete Week 21 Meal Plan, go to “Week 21 Easy Meals Plan & Grocery List.”
From this week’s groceries you will need:
(Note: these weekly meals are planned for one person but are easily adjusted for more.)
1 bag ready-to-eat salad greens
remaining cherry tomatoes from Day 3’s meal
leftover roasted cauliflower from Day 2’s meal
4 green onions (2 for salad and 2 for rice)
3 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 & 1/2 cups basmati or other long-grain white rice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast (on special this week at Cosentino’s)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup dry sherry
1/4 cup chopped fresh tarragon leaves
2 tablespoons sour cream
drizzle of olive oil and vinegar, such as balsamic or red wine vinegar
salt and pepper
Note: For the complete Week 21 Grocery List, go to Week 21 Easy Meals Plan & Grocery List.
• Place some of the salad greens in a salad bowl. Re-seal the remaining salad greens and store in the fridge to use later this week.
• Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and add to the salad greens.
• Add the leftover roasted cauliflower to the salad greens.
• Trim off and discard the root ends of the green onions. Thinly slice the onions, including the green tops. Reserving half of the green onions for the rice, add the other half to the salad greens.
• Toss the salad together and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
• In a medium sauce pan, heat 3 cups chicken broth, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, salt and butter until it comes to a boil.
• Add the rice and stir well. Cover the pan, reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and keep covered.
• While the rice is cooking, peel the shallots.
• Finely grate the zest (yellow part of lemon peel) from the lemon and place the zest in a small bowl. Squeeze the juice from half the lemon into the bowl with the grated lemon zest.
• Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
• Cut the skinless, boneless chicken breast in half (or quarters if it is a very large chicken breast) and sprinkle all sides with salt and pepper.
• When the oil is shimmering hot, place the chicken pieces in the oil and let brown on one side for about 4 -5 minutes. Turn the chicken pieces to the other side and brown on that side for another 4 minutes. Remove chicken from skillet and reduce the heat to medium.
• Add the whole peeled shallots to the hot skillet and sauté about 5 minutes until they are soft and translucent.
• Increase the heat to medium-high and stir in 1/2 cup chicken broth, dry sherry, lemon zest and lemon juice. Bring the liquid to a boil, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the chicken pieces back to the skillet, cover the skillet, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes.
• Stir in the chopped tarragon, sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
• Remove the salad from the fridge and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle a little olive oil and vinegar, such as balsamic or red wine vinegar, over the salad and toss together.
Serve the Andalusian Chicken with the Yellow Rice and Vegetable Salad for a savory, satisfying weeknight meal.
Go to Margie’s Easy Meals, “Week 21 Easy Meals Plan & Grocery List,” for Day 5’s easy meal, Beef and Bean Burritos with Green Salad. To receive e-mail alerts for new articles from the San Jose Easy Meals Examiner, click on the Subscribe button above.