Tortellini are little pillows of pasta filled with a variety of things, such as meat, cheese, vegetables, etc. And while this recipe, Cheese Tortellini with Mushrooms and Cherry Tomatoes, uses tortellini filled with cheese, you can certainly use whatever type of tortellini is your favorite. For this dish, it is recommended that you use the refrigerated fresh pasta rather than dry.
In the refrigerated case next to their huge selection of cheeses, Cosentino’s offers a wide variety of refrigerated pastas such as tortellini. These can also be found at all local markets, such as local Safeway and Whole Foods as well. For the complete Week 21 Meal Plan, go to “Week 21 Easy Meals Plan & Grocery List.”
From this week’s groceries you will need:
(Note: these weekly meals are planned for one person but are easily adjusted for more.)
1 9-oz package refrigerated cheese tortellini (not dry)
1 ciabatta or French roll
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
1 8-oz package sliced crimini (baby bellas) or sliced button mushrooms
2 garlic cloves
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 pint cherry tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste
Note: For the complete Week 21 Grocery List, go to Week 21 Easy Meals Plan & Grocery List.
• Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. When boiling, add 1/2 teaspoon salt and the cheese tortellini to the water. Stirring occasionally, cook the tortellini for the appropriate number of minutes per package instructions. When done, drain well in colander. Set aside.
• While the tortellini cooks, cut a ciabatta or French roll in half horizontally. Spread a little butter over both of the cut sides of the roll and place, cut sides up, on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese. Set aside.
• Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When shimmering hot, add sliced mushrooms and sauté for about 5 minutes until mushrooms give up their liquid and then it evaporates and mushrooms are beginning to turn golden brown.
• Peel and mince the garlic cloves and add to the sautéed mushrooms along with the crushed red pepper flakes and Italian seasoning. Sauté for another minute.
• Add dry sherry and continue to sauté, stirring up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan, for another minute.
• Wash the cherry tomatoes under cold running water. Reserve about 6 cherry tomatoes in the fridge to use later this week. Cut the remaining cherry tomatoes in half and stir into the mushrooms.
• Add the cooked, drained cheese tortellini to the skillet. Stir over heat until just heated through and then remove from heat. Taste for seasoning, adding salt and pepper to taste. Cover pan and set aside.
• Heat the broiler setting on the oven.
• Place the prepared roll halves under the broiler and toast for just about 1 minute until the tops are starting to bubble and turn light golden brown. Note: this will happen quickly so watch them and do not leave the bread unattended under the broiler as they will burn. Remove from oven and serve with Cheese Tortellini with Mushrooms and Cherry Tomatoes. Sprinkle additional grated parmesan cheese over the tortellini is desired.
Leftover Cheese Tortellini with Mushrooms and Cherry Tomatoes makes a delicious easy lunch when warmed up in the microwave. It also makes a yummy cold pasta salad with tossed lightly with an Italian dressing or vinaigrette.
Go to Margie’s Easy Meals, “Week 21 Easy Meals Plan & Grocery List,” for Day 4’s easy meal, Andalusian Chicken, Yellow Rice and Vegetable Salad. To receive e-mail alerts for new articles from the San Jose Easy Meals Examiner, click on the Subscribe button above.