Colorado is the least obese state, according to a recent survey. With more than 300 days of sunshine every year, living in Denver provides plenty of opportunities to fit in just about any exercise your heart desires. However, as a busy mom it can sometimes be difficult to make time for that exercise. Here are some important ideas to remember when trying to get into shape:
- Exercise outside! With Denver’s great weather, there really is no excuse to not go for that walk, jog or bike ride!
- If you’re going to exercise outside, you’ll need some suitable baby gear. For walking or running, the BOB stroller is a great option. If you’d like the ability to walk, run, bike or even ski, you’re going to need something that is a little more versatile (and pricey). For the avid outdoorsman, the Chariot Carrier is completely worth the financial cost. Both the BOB and the Chariot have many available accessories that will enhance your experiences with them, and both also are available in the “double” version in case you have two children that will need to ride.
- Sign up for a local event! The word “marathon” is a scary one. But nothing will get you more motivated to get in shape, and stay in shape, than signing up for a full or half marathon – or even a triathlon! Don’t worry – you don’t have to finish in record time. Simply finishing is a huge accomplishment! Stay tuned to future articles for lists of upcoming Denver events, and ways to train for the big day!
- Keep a food journal. Studies have shown that most of us grossly underestimate the amount of calories we consume every day. Keeping a food journal will show you exactly what you are taking in – calories, carbohydrates, fat and protein – some even have an exercise log as well, so you can keep track of the calories you are burning, too! SELF Magazine has a great food journal. It is free to SELF subscribers. Kill two birds with one stone – subscribe to SELF to get a ton of helpful fitness, beauty and nutrition advice, and get a free membership to the online food journal at the same time.
- Join a gym – and go there on a regular basis. Yes, many of us prefer to exercise outside, but you should also belong to a gym so you have somewhere to go in case of bad weather. There are a lot of great reasons to belong to a gym – many have childcare, so you can drop the kiddo off and have a little “me” time while working out, and most have some amazing classes that will educate and challenge you to push yourself as far as you can. Keep an eye out for future articles about some of Denver’s best gyms for moms!
- Do short intervals. Many moms don’t have time to dedicate a full, uninterrupted hour to exercise. If that is true for you, just break up your routine into four, 15-minute intervals. Not only is it easier on your schedule, but it is great for your body as well!
We all have busy schedules. The key to staying in shape is making your health a priority.