We just heard about the new Xbox 360 being hacked to play backups just days ago only to run into news about a USB modchip that will allow you to play PS3 backup games. Yes, you heard right, no dissection of the PlayStation 3 is needed with this USB modchip, the PS Jailbreak.
PSX-SCENE stands behind the validity of the fact that the USB modchip will allow you to play backup games. The state that they actually had testers with actual product in hand. They contacted PS Jailbreak’s manufacture to ask some questions that has been on everyone’s minds.
1. FAT32 is currently supported. They are working on NTFS.
2. They recommend staying on current firmware and not updating until they have deemed it safe. The dongle is fully updatable.
3. Online play does work but they cannot guarantee that it will work with all future titles.
4. Final retail units are ready to ship.
5. Official reseller list will be on their site in the next 48 hours. You can pre-order from any of the official resellers. There are websites out there now claiming to be selling but they are not legitimate. Don’t get ripped off. Wait until the official list is posted.
Here is what the manufacture had to say:
PS Jailbreak is a USB plug and play solution that installs in seconds, keeping your valid warranty seal in tact.
Easy to use installer and GUI takes you step by step.
Compatible with all production models FAT and SLIM. Supports all regions: USA, JAP, PAL and KOREA
PS Jailbreak disables forced software updates and will never brick your console.
Supports all games (it does not allow backups of bluray movies , dvd movies , or past consoles games)
Backup games to your internal hard drive or external hard drive through USB, and boot directly off GUI. Eliminating the need for expensive blueray burners and costly blank media.
Play backups off your hard drives 2x as fast as off the blueray drive. This eliminates lags and glitches to provide you with smoother game play.
Open up your console to a new generation of homebrew applications. Load homebrew apps/games off any USB hard drive/flash drive.
Fully updatable with new features/updates by connecting PS Jailbreak to any computers USB port.
Here is the actual video showing the device. Is this what will finally break the PlayStation 3? Have they actually broke it down to just a USB modchip? There is still no word from Sony on this issue, as of yet.