Unity has facilitated a World Day of Prayer for the last 17 years on the second Thursday in September to enhance our connection with the “constant presence of divine flow,” according to Unity. In 2010, Unity’s World Day of Prayer falls on September 9th and the theme is, in fact, “Living in the Flow.”
There are a number of ways to be a part of the World Day of Prayer in a meaningful way. This includes the following options:
* Attend an event at Unity Village, 1901 NW Blue Parkway, Lee’s Summit, Missouri 64065. Please click here to view a brief video on the history of Unity Village.
* Participate in conversations with like-minded friends around the world by becoming a fan of Silent Unity on Facebook. Silent Unity is a prayer ministry located at Unity Village that operates 24 hours per day, 7 days per week and has done so for 120 years. Please click here to view a brief video on the history of Silent Unity. The song written specifically for Silent Unity that will be sung at the prayer vigil can be enjoyed in the video included at the conclusion of this article.
* Share your prayer intentions and/or the names of those you wish to be blessed by prayer with Silent Unity so they can be included in a special 24-hours prayer vigil in the Silent Unity Chapel on September 9th (and in prayer for the 30 days following the vigil). This can be achieved by calling Silent Unity at 800-669-7729, entering your prayer intentions on-line (to access this feature click here), or by sending them via snail mail to Silent Unity at 1901 NW Blue Parkway, Unity Village, Missouri 64065. No one seeking such prayer support needs to be a member of Unity or be active in any Unity church to participate.
* Attend a local Unity church to participate in Unity’s World Day of Prayer. For residents of Columbus, Georgia, the following six churches are within driving distance:
1. Unity of Albany (GA) – approximately 75 miles from Columbus, GA. Address for services at 11 a.m. on Sundays is 178 Hugh Road, Leesburg, GA. Phone: (229) 435-1001.
2. Unity of Montgomery (AL) Spiritual Center – approximately 77 miles from Columbus, GA. Address for services at 11 a.m. on Sundays is 1922 Walnut Street, Montgomery, AL 36106. Phone: (334) 263-1225.
3. Unity in the Heart of Georgia (Byron, GA) – approximately 78 miles from Columbus, GA. Address for services at 11 a.m. on Sundays is 127 Peachtree Parkway #701, Byron, GA. Phone: (478) 737-7537.
4. Unity South Atlanta Church (Jonesboro, GA) – approximately 84 miles from Columbus, GA. Address for services at 10 a.m. on Sundays is 7541 Mr. Zion Boulevard, Jonesboro, GA. Phone: (404) 578-3033.
5. Unity of Dothan (AL) – approximately 90 miles from Columbus, GA. Address for services at 11 a.m. on Sundays is 942 South Oates, Dothan, AL 36301. Phone: (334) 794-2840.
6. Unity West Church (Douglasville, GA) – approximately 94 miles from Columbus, GA. Address for services at 11 a.m. on Sundays is 6472 East Church Street – Suite F, Douglasville, GA 30134. Phone: (678) 570-1487.
Other resources to learn more about affirmative prayer utilized by Unity and the scientific basis for it can be found below.
On September 5-10, 2010, Unity is offering a multicultural prayer retreat, “The Power of Prayerful Living: Prayers and Practices from Around the World,” at Unity Village. Registration ($399.00 prior to August 2nd) is available on Unity’s website for those interested in participating.
Available texts on prayer on Unity’s website include: (1) Teach Us to Pray by co-founder Charles Fillmore ($14.95 in paperback); (2) Handbook of Positive Prayer by Hypatia Hasbrouck ($13.95 in paperback); (3) The Quest for Prayer: Coming Home to Spirit by Mary-Alice and Richard Jafolla ($5.99 in paperback); (4) Effectual Prayer by Frances W. Foulkes ($12.95 in hardcover); (5) The Prayer Way to Health, Wealth, and Happiness by Lowell Fillmore ($6.99 in hardcover); (6) The Miracle of Prayer by Rosemary Ellen Guiley ($11.99 in paperback); and, (7) Prayer Works: True Stories of Answered Prayer by Rosemary Ellen Guiley ($3.99 in paperback).
Finally, for those wishing to investigate the scientific aspect of prayer, the following books are available from Amazon: (1) Prayer is Good Medicine: How to Reap the Healing Benefits of Prayer by Larry Dossey, MD ($10.19 in paperback); (2) Be Careful What You Pray for … You Just Might Get It by Larry Dossey, MD ($11.89 in paperback); (3) Healing Words: The Power of Prayer and the Practice of Medicine by Larry Dossey, MD ($11.24 in paperback); and (4) The Energy of Prayer: How to Deepen Your Spiritual Practice by Larry Dossey, MD, and Thich Nhat Hanh ($10.36 in paperback). The science presented in these texts complements the aspects of prayer presented by Unity.