Once again, UFC will be showing a live event at your local movie theater!
UFC 118 is set for August 28, 2010 at the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts. The third UFC Fan Expo is expected to coincide with the event – making it the first the UFC has held in Massachusetts!
NCM Fathom and UFC® have once again teamed up to provide MMA-fans with a unique venue in which to view the live event. Saturday, August 28 at 10:00 p.m. ET / 7:00 p.m. PT. (that’s 10pm for local Knoxville folks) – the fight will be broadcast live from the TD Garden in Boston. This is the much anticipated rematch between Frankie Edgar and BJ Penn, and the first-ever UFC event in Massachusetts. Take a look here to see if your local theater is on the list.
Now…you can do what you usually do, and watch the show on PPV, or…you can watch it LIVE in a movie theater near you, enjoying popcorn, chips and liquid cheese, hanging with all of your friends and other local MMA fans! For my part – I’ll be at the theater, so be sure to find me and say hi!
Go HERE to view the UFC 118 event video trailer.
OFFICIAL FIGHT CARD FOR UFC 118
- Lightweight Championship bout: United States Frankie Edgar (c) vs. United States B.J. Penn
- Heavyweight bout: United States Randy Couture vs. United States James Toney
- Middleweight bout: Brazil Demian Maia vs. Brazil Mario Miranda
- Lightweight bout: United States Kenny Florian vs. United States Gray Maynard
- Welterweight bout: United States Nate Diaz vs. United States Marcus Davis
Preliminary card (to be shown on Spike TV, or use one of these online venues)
- Lightweight bout: United States Joe Lauzon vs. United States Gabe Ruediger
- Lightweight bout: England Andre Winner vs. United States Nik Lentz
- Middleweight bout: United States Dan Miller vs. United States John Salter
- Welterweight bout: England Nick Osipczak vs. United States Greg Soto
- Welterweight bout: United States Mike Pierce vs. Brazil Amilcar Alves
(According to reports, the following fights have been finalized, but have yet to be officially announced at UFC.)
- Middleweight bout: United States Gerald Harris vs. United States Joe Vedepo
Dana White, UFC President, previously said: “Our fans have told us they were thrilled to have UFC 111 in movie theaters.”
Ted Johnston, local MMA fan and BJJ practitioner, agrees: “I watched UFC 111 at the West Town Mall theater and all my friends were there. Usually we just watch the fights at one of our houses or Hooters, but we gave the theater a go. Had a blast and can’t wait for the next one!”
If you’re like other local fans, you can catch all the action in the local Regal Cinema at West Town Mall 9 in West Knoxville. WORD OF WARNING: You must FIRST purchase your tickets ONLINE at Fathom Events and then present them to the box office at the theater. Looks like it’s also playing in Chattanooga, Nashville and Oak Ridge, TN as well. Just check out the Fathom website for a complete list of theater locations and prices.
In Knoxville, it looks like the tickets are running at about $20 per seat – which is a lot less than the standard $50 for a PPV. Of course, if you usually have 10 people over your house to watch the event, and each person puts in $5, you’re going to pay more a the theater – but isn’t it worth the experience of watching MMA fights at the theater at least once? I think so – and I hope to see you there!