The air-combat genre is seeing a resurgence thanks to quality titles like WiiWare’s 1941: Red Sun Rising and the wonderful Snoopy: Flying Ace.
Paramount and DoubleSix have been working on their own downloadable dogfighter based on the well-known Top Gun name. The free-flying air combat game Top Gun is due out digitally this summer on PSN, PC and Mac (no solid release date yet) and loosely follows the classic plot, with hopefully zero missions involving landing on an aircraft carrier.
This morning we received a fact-sheet overload outlining every feature as well as some new screenshots.
(For the music fans: Not only are we looking forward to foolishly rocking out to Kenny Loggin’s “Danger Zone” but the game also contains the original Top Gun anthem!)
- Talk to Me Goose: With all-new dialogue and storyline written by the film’s screenwriter, Jack Epps, Jr., players talk trash with Iceman, Merlin, Slider, and the rest of the flyers from the film.
- You’re a Hell of a Pilot. Maybe Too Good: Feel the need for speed! With arcade controls, players defy the laws of gravity as they dodge enemy planes using inverts, dives and spins.
- Too Close for Missiles, I’m Switching to Guns: Players go up against the best as they outmaneuver and shoot down bogeys using short and long range missiles and Vulcan cannons.
- This is the Real Thing. This is What You’ve Been Trained for: Top Gun features three single player and five multiplayer modes.
o Flight School: Players enroll as Maverick at Top Gun Academy and train to handle the breakneck speeds of hitting the “after burner” and the “tunnel vision” that poses a threat during high G-force maneuvers.
o Campaign Mode: After training to be the best of the best, players join the fight above the Indian Ocean for 11 total missions at various times of day.
o Horde Mode: Bogeys like fireflies all over the sky! Solo players get to test their flight combat abilities as they take down endless waves of enemies of increasing difficulty. Top scores will appear on leader boards. Remember, no points for second place.
o Online Multiplayer: Players can enlist in the US Navy or join the Soviet air forces and go head-to-head with opponents in five different modes: Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Top Gun (choose your wingman and compete against enemy pairs), Bombing Run (defend and attack mobile bases) and Capture the Flag. Players can choose to battle at three times of day across multiple environments.
oTower, This is Ghost Rider Requesting a Flyby: Players take their RIO along and buzz the tower!
o It Takes a Lot More Than Just Fancy Flying: Players can unlock six sonic jets with varying speed, maneuverability and weapon load.
o For the US Navy:
- F14 Tomcat: The classic Top Gun plane, this heavy piece of machinery isn’t the most maneuverable of the birds but still boasts an undercarriage capable of carrying an abundance of missiles to blast down enemies.
- F16 Falcon: Perfect for high-speed dogfights, this is the fastest and most nimble jet, but payloads are smaller, so players must make every missile count!
- F/A-18 Hornet: An aircraft balanced in all aspects of speed, agility and firepower.
o For the Soviets:
- MiG-31 Foxhound: Forgoing maneuverability and weapon load for speed, this is the fastest jet.
- MiG-29 Fulcrum: This agile plane can handle a small payload of weapons, making accuracy even more important.
- Su-27 Flanker: An evenly balanced aircraft across speed, agility and weapon load.
- The Plaque for the Alternates is Down in the Ladies Room: Unlock up to 12 Trophies.