Tommy Baker hosts the “Home Hotline” radio program every Saturday morning from 10 to 11 AM on WVLK AM 590. Tommy and his guests offer reliable advice and tips about home improvements and remodeling. Tommy also answers questions that you phone in to him during the show by calling 877-777-0590. Click here to go to Tommy Baker Part 1: The radio show.
Tommy has been in the construction business for more than twenty years and is a registered contractor.
Tommy Baker shared some of his personal philosophies with the author during a recent interview and how those philosophies affect his construction business, his radio work and his personal beliefs. Following is a summary of his comments:
• Tommy enjoys meeting, talking with and helping people. That is what he enjoys most about hosting the Home Hotline show.
• He is the same person when the microphone turns off as he is on the radio. He does not act like a celebrity in public, but he reacts pleasantly when he is out and about and someone recognizes him.
• He knows a little bit about everything. He built two houses, doing just about all of the work himself, except the foundation and the drywall taping. He drew the plans for the homes.
• Tommy strives to answer callers in a clear, practical way. He feels that knowledge is priceless and that it is important for people to know their limitations when doing home improvements.
• He emphasizes the value of a homeowner frequently observing the work being done by a hired contractor. Even if the homeowner does not know what he or she is looking at, the contractor does not know that and will perform better if being watched.
• When a caller asks about a doing a project that Tommy feels is too difficult for a homeowner to do, Tommy answers the caller’s question, but suggests that a professional is hired to do the job.
• Tommy is hard core about doing things right. He is detail oriented. He is a man of integrity.
• Tommy checks out all his guests and advertisers before having them on his show. Tommy wants to personally believe in and endorse his guests and advertisers before allowing them to appear on his show. He does not put people on the air for promotional purposes. He puts them on the air because he wants to share information that he feels is valuable and important to his listeners.
• He is generous and always strives to help others who are doing their best to help themselves.
• Tommy has strong religious beliefs that he practices in his daily life. These include treating others honestly, fairly, with integrity and sharing his beliefs with them. He has served on numerous volunteer work teams, both domestically and abroad, working on and managing construction projects for disaster relief and repair work. One of his future goals is to increase his involvement in volunteer work.
• Tommy considers his listeners and his customers to be his friends.
Call the Home Hotline Program Saturday morning at 10 AM and say hi to Tommy Baker.
Watch the slide show below.
Go to Tommy Baker, Part 1: The radio show
Click on this link for other recent articles by the author.
Receive email alerts when new articles are available. Just click on the “subscribe” button above. Also, use the “share” buttons to share this article with your friends on your social media sites such as facebook.