Writers who need an outside source of income to offset their living expenses need to look no further than the Ontario Arts Council.
Established in 1963 and located in Toronto, the OAC provides grants to individual artists, organizations and communities as a way of fostering the creative spirit of the local community.
Grants for Writers
The OAC offers a variety of grants for individual writers, which range from money to aid in one’s professional development, funds to help writers with their current works or to aid writers in the creation of new works.
Writers’ Reserve Grant
The Writers’ Reserve Grant is specifically for individual writers who are creating something new which is intended for professional print or on-line publication.
Applicants must receive a recommendation from a list of third-party recommenders from the literary community. You do not, however, have to be under contract to the recommending book or magazine publishers.
- writers with at least one professionally published book for which you have a publishing contract and receive royalties or
- at least three separately published essays, short stories, poems or other work for which you have received payment
- children (picture books, fiction and nonfiction)
- short and long fiction
- nonfiction (including essays and literary journalism)
- writing for graphic fiction and nonfiction books
- Minimum amount you may apply for from one recommender is $1,500.
- Maximum amount you may apply for from one recommender is $5,000.
- Publishers may recommend less than you request (but not less than $1,500), but may not recommend more than you request
- You may apply to the Writers’ Reserve and the Writers’ Works in Progress program at the same time for the same activity and receive funding from both programs
- You may receive more than one Writers’ Reserve grant in any one year, towards one project or for different projects.
- You may receive recommendations from more than one publisher in the same year, but may not receive more than $10,000 from this program in the same OAC fiscal year
2010/2011 Program Deadline
This program runs from September 1, 2010 to January 31, 2011
On September 1, 2010, the OAC will send program guidelines, the application and the list of 2010 recommenders. To receive a copy of the application package, call 416-961-1660 or 1-800-387-0058, or email [email protected].
For a complete list of the Writers’ Reserve program guidelines, frequently asked questions and to request your copy of the application package, visit the Writers’ Reserve page on the Ontario Arts Council website.
The Bottom Line
The Ontario Arts Council offers support to artists of all kinds, and help to keep our creative community alive by providing for and working with our local writers, artists, musicians and arts communities across the province.
Did you enjoy this article?
Share it & SUBSCRIBE to stay informed!
Toronto Writing Examiner
Promote Your Page Too