7. How many people attend the Carolina Cup? How many people attend the Colonial Cup? What are the prices from general admission to VIP seating at both cups?
The Carolina Cup annually attracts around 60,000 fans and the Colonial Cup has around 12,000 fans. General admission varies from $20 in advance/$30 at the gate for the Colonial Cup, to $625 for a Grandstand box of six seats.
8. Have you or any of the other staff members met anyone famous at either one of the events? Who? If so, who did they bring with them? What did they drive to the event? Where did they sit? What did they drink? What were their activities?
Celebrities such as actors, artists and musicians are always attracted to horse racing events because horse racing creates a fun, relaxing atmosphere. It’s an excellent way for everyone to enjoy a day in the outdoors, whether they are tailgating in the Infield or on the Rail, or watching from a seat in a Grandstand box. Horse racing has been a popular pasttime for centuries, and that tradition has been embraced at Springdale Race Course since 1930. The Carolina Cup has hosted celebrities such as actor Tom Beringer and pro football star Vonnie Holliday to name just a few. Mrs. Marion du Pont Scott was married to the famous actor Randolph Scott.
9. How many people in the staff attend the Carolina Cup and/or the Colonial Cup? Do you attend?
All of our staff, part-time and full-time, work on both event days as these are the two most important work dates of the year for us. For both event days we hire extra help, such as security and ushering services, caterers, and cleaning crews. We also rely on our community organizations such as the Jaycees, Junior Welfare League and the Booster Club to help us put these events on.
10. Are there any venues set up at these events? What kind?
For the Carolina Cup we have several concessions vendors on site. At the Colonial Cup we have more activities in the Infield, such as Jack Russell Terrier trials, mule wagon rides, a carousel, and a coloring mural. We also have a retail shopping area behind the Grandstand known as the Paddock Shoppes. This year we are having a special Salute to the Military at the Colonial Cup on Saturday, November 13 and are planning a special pre-race show. We’ve invited the Golden Knights Parachute Team to jump the course in front of the Grandstand before the first race.
11. Where do the jockeys come from geographically? Is there any one jockey you have seen race consecutively over the years? How many horses race at one time? How many races are there throughout each event? Are there different categories for the races? If so, how many and what do they consist of?
Jockeys come from all over the world – here at Springdale they come mostly from England, Ireland and the U.S. The number of horses entered in our races varies. Typically we have around a dozen or more entries. We generally have 6 races on a race day card on Colonial Cup and Carolina Cup race days. There are different races, such as amateur flat races, maiden hurdles, timber races, and races for fillies and mares.