Travelers headed to Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport this weekend will need to pack plenty of patience. Between 9 p.m. Friday, August 20 until 5 a.m. Sunday, August 22, traffic at Sky Harbor will be significantly impacted by PHX Sky Train™ construction. Several Airport exits will be closed as will the southbound ramp to 44th Street. The East Economy parking facility will remain open and accessible throughout the weekend.
Getting to Sky Harbor:
If you are driving to Sky Harbor this weekend you will need pay close attention and follow one of several marked detours. Restrictions on arriving traffic include:
- The Airport exit from SR 143 will be closed. Drivers will need to exit at Washington Street and follow the detour.
- The Airport exit from the Loop 202 will be closed. Drivers should exit at Van Buren and follow the detour.
- Northbound 44th Street will be closed at University. Drivers can take SR 143 north to Washington Street and enter Sky Harbor via southbound 44th Street.
Leaving Sky Harbor:
Many drivers get confused when leaving Sky Harbor. Construction isn’t going to make that any easier this weekend. Or maybe it will, since there will be fewer choices. Traffic restrictions include:
- The ramp to southbound 44th Street will be closed intermittently. In order to exit the airport and connect with SR 143, drivers must first go NORTH on 44th Street then EAST on Washington and connect to SR 143.
- Drivers exiting the Airport via the Loop 202 should not encounter any traffic restrictions.
These traffic restrictions, occurring between 9 p.m. Friday, August 20 and 5 a.m. Sunday, August 22, 2010, primarily impact those in the East Valley. Travelers and those doing business near the airport are advised to avoid using the 202 Freeway, SR 143 or 44th Street to access the area.
This weekend the best way, other than flying, to get to or leave Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport is to use I-10 on the west side of the Airport.