Today can be the beginning of a new era for you, an era of being good to yourself. Are you up to it? Do you feel as if you deserve it? Are you worthy of all the gifts that you can receive as a result of being good to yourself? Think about it: good health, balance, peace, joy, a sense of play, a sense of accomplishment. These are all things that can result from being good to yourself.
Here are some ways to be good to yourself:
1. Get your quiet time in, every day. All spiritual paths recommend a period of silence or meditation, every day. It is the most important thing you can do for yourself. If you feel you cannot meditation, simply sit in the silence.
2. Read good stuff. Spiritual literature abounds. There are thousands of daily readers for every spiritual path. There are also thousands of awesome books just waiting for you. Take yourself on a date and browse the spiritual aisle in a bookstore. Find something that calls to you, and read it.
3. Eat right. Let’s face it, we all know that comfort food is comforting. For a few minutes. But in long term, it does just the opposite. Think about what you are eating in terms of whether or not it is good for your body and good for your soul. There is a balance there. I’m not asking you to obsessively diet, that is just as harmful as eating comfort food all the time. Balance in all things is the key. Eat some fruit every day, eat some veggies every day. Cut back on the sweets and the fats. Be good to your body. Change your thinking about what is good: if you have been thinking that comfort food is the nearest Kentucky Fried Chicken or McDonalds, perhaps you might want to consider that comfort food could be something nutritious cooked at home.
4. Move your body. Get some exercise, regularly. Again, I am not talking marathons here, or obsessively exercising your way into a physical therapist’s office. Take a walk. Ride a bike. Get that heart rate elevated a bit.
5. Get enough sleep. Although you will be able to survive on a few hours of sleep for a day or so, it is important to get regular sleep, and enough of it. Only you can say what is enough, but studies show that from 7 to 9 hours is the norm for humans. Get less sleep than what is enough, and you soon will experience side effects like inattention, lack of energy, ineffectiveness in your activities, and, if allowed to continue, psychosis.
6. Take some time off work. Do not work seven days a week. That old religious edict about taking a sabbath on the seventh day makes sense: we need the respite from our daily routines in order to function at peak levels the rest of the week. Take the time for yourself.
It is no accident that I have put the spiritual stuff first. All of our outside stuff results from what is going on inside of us, we must take care of the inside first in order for the outside to work well. Always do your inner work first!
You have the opportunity to begin a new era in your life, right here, right now. Be good to yourself!