THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE NUMBER 108
What is the significance of Number 108 in Hindu Mythology?
As per Indian mythology, Indian culture has a very special significance of number 108. What is this number represent, and why is it so important?
The ancient Indians were excellent mathematicians and 108 may be the product of a precise mathematical operation (e.g. 1 power 1 x 2 power 2 x 3 power 3 = 108) which was thought to have special numerological significance.
1) In one minute, we breathe in approximately 15 times, in 1 hour 900 times, and in 12 hours 10800 times, and in a day 10800 * 2 times. A day consists of 24 hours, and if we set aside half the day for our day to day routines, then one can spend 12 hours for recitation of one’s idol. Therefore, the maximmum number of times that one can recite “mantra”, or perform “Jap” are 10800. If one wants to obtain 100% benefit of its jap, then performing jap 108 times will give you the benefit of 100%. That’s why in a “Mala”, there are 108 beads. It is written in Vedas, that 1 Jap corresponds to 1 mala (which has 108 beads), therefore performing jap of 108 malas will result in 100% benefit.
2) Astronomically, there are 27 constillations in our galaxy, and each one them has 4 directions, and 27 * 4 = 108, In other words the number 108 covers the whole galaxy.
3) According to Indian scriptures, letter 9 corresponds to Lord Brahma (the creator of universe). Mathematically, the interesting property of 9 is
9 x1 = 9
9 x 2 = 18 (8+1 = 9)
9 x 3 = 27 (7+2 = 9)
9 x 12 = 108 (1+0+8 = 9)
4) In Hindu religion, the number 9 is very important. Keeping the importance of number 9, Rishi Vyas has created 9 Purans, 108 MahaPuran (Upnishads). Mahabharat has 18 chapters, Geeta has 18 chapters, Bhagavat has 108000 Shloks (verses).
The addition of digits of number 108 is 9, and number 9 is related with Brahma, that’s why 108 is very important, and came into lot of Indian scriptures.
5) Indian Vedas, treats the Sun as God, and Sun has 12 signs (Zodiac signs). In Yajurved, Sun is related with Lord Brahma (the number 9), remember – 12 * 9 = 108; therefore for Gods Prayer, the number 108 is very sacred.
6) According to Indian mythology , there are 4 Yugs
Satyug – consists of 172,800 years (1+7+2+8 = 18 == (1+8 = 9)
TretaYug consists of 1296000 years (1+2+9+6 = 18 = (1+8 = 9)
DwaparYug consists of 864000 years (8+4+6) = 18 = (1+8 = 9)
Kaliyug consists of 432000 years (4+3+2) = 9
Heart Chakra: The chakras are the intersections of energy lines, and there are said to be a total of 108 energy lines converging to form the heart chakra. One of them, sushumna leads to the crown chakra, and is said to be the path to Self-realization.
Sanskrit alphabet: There are 54 letters in the Sanskrit alphabet. Each has masculine and feminine, shiva and shakti. 54 times 2 is 108.
Pranayama: If one is able to be so calm in meditation as to have only 108 breaths in a day, enlightenment will come. Some say there are 108 Upanishads, texts of the wisdom of the ancient sages.
River Ganga: The sacred River Ganga spans a longitude of 12 degrees (79 to 91), and a latitude of 9 degrees (22 to 31). 12 times 9 equals 108. In astrology, there are 12 houses and 9 planets. 12 times 9 equals 108.
Gopis of Krishna: In the Krishna tradition, there were said to be 108 gopis or maid servants of Krishna.
MANTRA FOR PROTECTION
Aad Guray Nameh, Jugaad Guray Nameh, Sat Guray Nameh, Siri Guroo Dayvay Nameh
Author: Guru Arjun Dev Ji, Fifth Guru of the Sikhs
Language: Gurmukhi – Source: Sukhmani Sahib (prayer of peace)
I bow to the primal Guru
I bow to the truth that has existed throughout the ages
I bow to True Wisdom
I bow to the Great Divine Wisdom
This is a mantra of protection and is recited to invoke the protective energy of the universe. Yogi Bhajan taught that this mantra should always be chanted 3 times in a row. This mantra is chanted after tuning in to a class with the Adi Mantra.
Many people chant this mantra when they need extra protection. It is part of the “triple mantra”, and is often spoken before driving a car to create a protective energy around the those in the car.
When you cannot be protected, this mantra shall protect you. When things stop, and won’t move, this makes them move in your direction. – Yogi Bhajan.