In an effort to help older Indianapolis area residents receive the most benefit from the INSHAPE Indiana Black & Minority Health Fair, a special ‘Seniors Night’ will be held on Thursday, July 15. In addition to the free health tests and screenings already scheduled for the fair, Thursday night will offer free admission and free bus rides to and from the Indiana Convention Center for Indianapolis seniors.
“INShape Indiana has been a great way to promote healthy lifestyles for Hoosiers of all ages,” said FSSA Division of Aging Director Faith Laird in a June 30 press release. “Senior Night highlights the importance of staying active no matter your age and we are happy to be able to provide seniors with free transportation to the event.”
INSHAPE Indiana Black & Minority Health Fair
The 2010 INSHAPE Indiana Black & Minority Health Fair offers Indianapolis area residents access to over $1,000 worth of free health screenings and testing, such as blood sugar, cholesterol, kidneys, prostate cancer, and adult dental screenings.
The fair opens on Thursday with a ceremony at 3:00 p.m. and closes at 8:00 p.m. Those wishing to receive free health tests and screenings must register by 7:00 p.m.
‘Seniors Night’ bus schedule
On July 15, free transportation will be offered to senior citizens 55 years of age or older. The free buses will depart from the following locations at 2:15 pm, 3:15 pm, and 4:15 pm. Return trips from the Indiana Convention Center are scheduled for 5:45 pm, 6:45 pm, and 8:00 pm.
Red Route (East):
- Eastern Star Church 5750 E. 30th St.
- Walnut Ridge SLF 3347 N. Emerson Ave.
- Jackson Peoples SLF 3901 N. Lesley Ave.
- Galilee Church 2624 E. 25th Street Church
- Hopeside SLF 1701 E. 25th St.
Blue Route (Central):
- New Life 3425 Boulevard Pl.
- Mt. Zion SLF 3655 Boulevard Pl.
- Bertha Ross Park 3700 N. Clifton St.
- T. Garrott Benjamin SLF 4720 N. Michigan Rd.
- Northside New Era 517 W. 30th St.
Yellow Route (West):
- Christamore Court Apts. 2330 W. Michigan St.
- Municipal Gardens 1831 Lafayette Rd.
- Riverside Senior Program 2420 Riverside Dr.
Pink Route (South):
- Pride Park 1129 Vanderman
- Spruce Manor Apartments 1840 Perkins Ave.
- Bethel Park 2850 Bethel Ave
Each bus will have a color-coded sign clearly posted in its window to help convention goers identify the correct bus for their return trip.
For more info: For more information, please visit the Indiana State Department of Health website, the Indiana Black Expo website, or call the Office of Minority Health at 317-233-7685.
Health Fair information:
INShape Indiana Black & Minority Health Fair offers $1000 worth of free health screenings
- Indiana’s Breast and Cervical Cancer Program offers free treatment to Hoosier women in need
- As seen on Dr. Oz: Five questions every woman over 40 should ask her doctor
- As seen on the Dr. Oz Show: Five medical tests everyone should have this year
- Treating vision problems in the elderly may help prevent dementia
- Vitamin D can reduce risk of heart attack and diabetes in middle-aged and seniors
- Chocolate may lower the risk of stroke and stroke-related death