As the school year approaches, many parents may be struggling with decisions about what to do with their kids from the time school ends to the time they get home from work. Unfortunately, not everyone can be home in time for their kids, so deciding on some sort of after school care is a necessity. Although it may not be the preferred choice, after school programs are actually highly beneficial for both children and the community!
Here are just a few benefits of after school programs:
- Children get to explore a wide range of experiences and environments that they may not otherwise be privy to.
- Children are able to further work on building friendships and relationships after the school day ends.
- Children are able to stay active, rather than sit home and watch TV, play video games, etc.
- Interest in school and academic achievement can be strengthened.
- Children can feel a stronger tie to school, which can improve graduation rates.
- Children are less likely to engage in risky behavior, such as drugs, drinking alcohol, smoking cigarettes, engaging in sexual activity, etc.
In an effort to arm Rochester area parents with information and options for after school activities, and with the help of Genesee Valley Parent magazine, the following after school guide has been developed. The guide will be provided in several parts, not only providing after school or child care programs, but also options for children to engage in the arts, dance, drama, music, sports, and more.
This first part includes local after school and child care options:
- Banners Childcare, 3510 Winton Place, 14623, 427-0700
- Best Foot Forward, Eastview Mall, 425-0944
- Child Care Council, 595 Blossom Rd. Suite 120, 800-743-KIDS
- The Children’s Center of Brighton, Inc., 2501 Lac De Ville Blvd., 14618, 442-7400
- Fallone’s Funtime Center, 124 Shittier Rd., 14624, 594-2552
- Friendship Children’s Center, 310 Fernwood Ave., 14609, 342-7250
- Generations Child Care, Inc., Fairport, 425-1360; Gates, 247-3490; Irondequoit, 482-1060; Webster, 671-0030; SW Rochester, 697-0499; NE Rochester, 613-7550; NW Rochester, 254-8160
- JLU Child Care, Inc., 2800 Spencerport Road, Spencerport, 281-6283, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kango Play Center, 1565 Jefferson Rd. Suite 180, Henrietta, 235-PLAY, email@example.com
- Park Ridge Child Care Center, 1555 Long Pond Rd., Greece, 723-7543
- Pride & Joy Child Care, 55 Finn Road Building 1, West Henrietta, 321-1151, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rochester Childfirst Network, 941 South Ave., 14620, 473-2858
- Seasons Child Care, 4646 Nine Mile Point Rd., Fairport, 388-2380, email@example.com
- Storybook Child Care, Rochester, 381-3341; Greece, 225-8280; Henrietta, 334-7110; Pittsford, 381-7120
- Volunteers of America Children’s Center, 214 Lake Ave., 14608, 647-1344
- Wolk Children’s Center at the Jewish Community Center, 1200 Edgewood Ave., 14618, 461-2000×272
- YMCA Canandaigua, 32 North Main St., Canandaigua, 394-1440, firstname.lastname@example.org
- YMCA of Greater Rochester, various locations, 546-5500