In honor of August 19, National Hot and Spicy Food Day, here is a recipe for a spicy and flavorful pico de gallo salsa. This revised recipe which was shared by a Charlotte local-native to Puerto Rico-will add a kick to any fajita, taco or sandwich and is great as a dipping sauce for empanadas.
What you need:
- 1 vadalia onion
- 1 clove garlic
- *1/2 or whole jalapeño
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro (Compare Foods)
- 1 bunch fresh culantro (Compare Foods)
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
What to do:
- Finely chop onion, garlic and jalapeño.
- Remove stems from cilantro and culantro. Rinse and finely chop.
- Dice tomatoes into small chunks.
- Mix onion, garlic, jalapeño, cilantro, culantro and tomatoes with lemon juice, lime juice and vinegar.
- Serve and enjoy!
*For a less spicy taste, substitute jalapeño with 1 or 2 ancho peppers (Super Walmart or Compare Foods).