Get ready – it’s almost here!
Friday, August 20, 2010 is National Lemonade Day and it’s the day when we honor the age-old tradition of enjoying an icy cold glass of lemonade. Celebrate by mixing up your favorite flavor — strawberry, raspberry, lemon-lime, watermelon — and even good old-fashioned lemon lemonade.
Lemonade is a traditional summer-time refreshment throughout the country. And we’re celebrating lemonade day right here in Virginia and the Greater Richmond area too.
Teach valuable lessons
Take advantage of lemonade day to teach the children important lessons too. By setting up a lemonade stand in your neighborhood, you can raise money for charitable causes and involve the children. They’ll enjoy the fun of helping make and sell lemonade. When it’s time to deliver their treasures to a worthy charity, they’ll be bursting with excitement and pride.
Make your lemonade stand simple and promote it in your neighborhood with emails, fliers or text messages to get the customers to your sidewalk. Be sure to use eco-friendly disposable products and teach the children how they can make a difference.
Some tips to remember for safety and fun:
- Make sure to use unbreakable containers since children tip to have more accidents than adults.
- Keep children a safe distance from the street and supervise them 100% of the time while manning their lemonade stand.
- Keep children’s hands clean and sanitary with frequent washing.
- Have one person serve the lemonade while another one collects money to keep things cleaner and avoid “sticky change”. This is also a great way to teach about counting and handling money.
- Encourage children to use good manners, smile and always thank their customers.
- Clean-up all trash and left-overs promptly to keep the neighborhood litter free.
- Deliver the sale proceeds to the designated chairty promptly so children remember that their efforts are what made the difference.
Don’t miss this opportunity to have fun with children and teach them a valuable lesson at the same time. An old-fashioned lemonade stand is the perfect way to enjoy lemonade day.
Information and recipes
For more information and tips, visit the National Lemonade website. You’ll also find lots of delicious recipes for unusual, creative and exotic lemonade drinks like watermelon lemonade, limeade lemonade and other special drinks.