Get ready for some of the local career fairs and hiring events in the area of Phoenix, Tempe and Mesa. Be sure to shine your shoes, polish your smile, open your mind to the possibilities of being employed again. The unemployed have had a long time to work on resumes, interview techniques, practice questions and answers and now is the time to get your A-game on.
The most simple things you can do to prepare to meet and greet hiring companies can make your first and possibly only face to face time with an employer that much better and long lasting. Here are a few rules to live by when visiting career fairs and such:
1. Shine your shoes. Make sure you wear your best but your best should be clean and shiny.
2. Polish up your smile. Make it wide, and make it bright, dazzle- so that it counts and stands out from all others.
3. Firm up your hand shake. Make it firm, make it strong, and make it ready. Don’t be wimpy here. Extend your hand forth immediately and make it count.
4. Review, review, and review again. By this time, your resume should be spotless, clean and crisp. Easy to read resumes with great verbage and numbers make the cut. Spelling errors, sloppy paper products, faint old dried up ink in your printer, gets no attention-at all. Do not forget to add your email address to your resume; companies look for this immediately as a way to reach you in the event an opportunity may arise. Be ready, be your own worst resume critic.
5. Be genuine. Be honest. Be friendly not to just the presenters at the tables, or the recruiters, but be friendly to every single person you come into contact with. Make eye contact, socialize and try to meet as many new people to bring into your circle as possible. Just don’t collect business cards, collect stories. Find out what and when companies will be hiring and exactly what they are looking for. Don’t play dodge ball, get right to the facts. These recruiters only have about 3-5 minutes tops to visit with you. This is your time to be quick about who you are and how you can help them. Be ready.
Here is a list of a few hiring events in the area:
July 12: Phoenix Marriot Airport Career Fair: 11am-2pm Various companies
July 14: Sprint Open House: 10am-4pm Retail Op’s: 1844 E. Southern Ave, Tempe
July 16: Lids Open Recruiting: 10am-4pm Retail Op’s: Fiesta Mall