The hills of eastern Kentucky will be alive with music as Carter Caves State Resort Park will celebrate the 40th anniversary of a musical tradition with the Fraley Mountain Music Gathering September 8th through 11th.
The festival that began as a family reunion honors old-time music and eastern Kentucky traditions as well as master fiddler, J.P. Fraley. He’ll be performing with professional and beginning musicians on stage, jamming in the parking lots, and sharing music around the campfires of Carter Caves.
Musical instruments such as dulcimer, fiddle, and guitar are used to tell stories about life long ago along the foothills of eastern Kentucky.
Scheduled events include:
- Wednesday – Jamming in the Round at the Campground Shelter at 8:00 p.m. (this event free)
- Thursday – Open Stage Concert at the park’s amphitheater from 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. ($5)
- Friday – Open Stage Concert at 1:00 p.m.; Old-Time Banjo Gathering at 2:00 p.m.; and Dulcimer Gathering at 3:00 p.m. all at the amphitheater ($4 for all three)
- Friday – Evening Concert from 7:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. at the amphitheater ($8)
- Saturday – Storytelling at 11:00 a.m.; Ballads at 12:00 p.m.; Carter Family Songs at 1:00 p.m.; Fiddle Gathering at 2:00 p.m.; and Guitar Gathering at 3:00 p.m. all at the amphitheater ($4 for all)
- Saturday – Evening Concert at the amphitheater begins at 7:00 p.m. ($10)
A festival pass for all programs costs just $25 per person.
For more information and to make a reservation at the lodge or campground, call (800) 325-0059 or (606) 286-4411.
As the name of the park suggests, caves are a big part of the park and cave tours of X Cave and Cascade Cave are available year round. In addition to the caves, facilities at the park include Lewis Caveland Lodge constructed with fieldstone and with 28 rooms each with a private balcony or patio overlooking the surrounding woodlands, 11 cottages, campground, Tierney’s Cavern Restaurant with seating for 100, picnic areas, golf course, miniature golf, and a large outdoor pool.
Carter Caves State Resort Park is less than 150 from Metro Louisville and is located in east central Kentucky near Olive Hill on KY-182 and an easy trip east on I-64. For a detailed map and directions, use www.maps.google.com. Carter Caves State Resort Park
344 Caveland Drive
Olive Hill, KY 41164
Telephone: (606) 286-4411 or (800) 325-0059