The Expendables has been the most anticipated action film in quite some time. Packed to the brim with nearly every big action star you can think of and its trailer giving off the vibe that the film will be reminiscent of your favorite over the top action films from the 90s, its release can’t come soon enough for fans of action cinema.
It may be the end of an era, however, as Sylvester Stallone (who just turned 64) is planning to call it quits when it comes to his acting career. While filming a fight scene with former pro-wrestler turned actor Steve Austin in The Expendables, Stallone broke his neck and had to have a metal plate inserted to help fix the serious neck injury. He later revealed at the end of June that he hopes to retire from acting and follow in the steps of Clint Eastwood by moving to directing films from here on out.
After 2008’s Rambo was a bigger success than expected, the fifth Rambo film was said to be greenlighted back at the end of August of 2009. The film was said to be called, “Rambo 5: The Savage Hunt.” Stallone had been working on the sequel, but in May of 2010 announced that he thought the franchise was finished and he was “about 99% sure.” There were a few different plot synopses floating around with one saying that we would see Rambo fight the likes of human traffickers and drug lords while trying to rescue a young girl that was kidnapped near the US-Mexico border. Another source said that the film would be based on James Byron Huggins “Hunter” novel and featured a military project that developed super soldiers by bringing out their “savagery.” After one of these half-human abominations escapes, it’s up to Rambo and a Black Ops squad to pick up the pieces.
What’s interesting is that a few days after that announcement, there was a poster/handout promoting Rambo 5 to come out next year. So could Rambo 5 be moving ahead without Stallone?
According to Stallone, he saw Rambo as the final chapter in the series. A report from Ain’t It Cool News states that Stallone’s working on an expanded edition of Rambo that would see extra footage put into the film (including a monologue) that would tie up all the loose ends that may have been left on the cutting room floor the first time around. Stallone then again confirmed that he wasn’t a part of the film and that the studio may be moving on with the franchise and character without him, which he seemed to be okay with. But do fans really want to see a Rambo film without Stallone being a part of it at all?
In the same breath that Stallone first said he was no longer a part of the Rambo films, he said he was already working on a sequel to The Expendables. However, that was before it was announced he was retiring from acting. So could Stallone’s character die in The Expendables film? Maybe his character would be killed off in the opening moments of a sequel or the second film could be his last hurrah. Who knows? According to IMDb, we’ll still be hearing Stallone in another film after The Expendables since he lends his voice to the comedy Zookeeper which has a release date of July 8, 2011. If Stallone does make the permanent transition from actor to director, it’ll be interesting to see if it’s as successful of a move for him as it was for Clint Eastwood.
In the meantime, we’re a little over a month away from The Expendables being released as it hits theaters August 13, 2010 and that certainly looks like it has the potential to be the action movie of all action movies.
Sources: imdb.com, comingsoon.net, worstpreviews.com, kungfucinema.com, screenrant.com, youtube.com, filmofilia.com