Thought of the moment: “Parents need to become parents again and accept responsibility for your child’s action! Stop making excuses for misbehavior.” –sjp
The Indiana Expo is an excellent event; it offers free services that benefit the community. And it provides various opportunities to kick back and have some fun in Indianapolis. Unfortunately, the tragic events of Saturday night, which left 10 young people shot, displayed to the nation that our teenagers are out of control! We as parents must demonstrate we our in charge. This yet another wake up call that we must be involved.
Listening to the various reports of Saturday evening brings several questions to mind. Unfortunately, all of the questions land right in the lap of parents.
- Why was an innocent 10-year child old out that time of night without the parents? Certainly no one expected this child to be shot, however; it is a parent’s responsibility to nurture and protect your child. The past has shown us that crowds get wilder and more mischievous as the night wears on. So, why was this child downtown without the protection of parents?
- As a result of the shootings, several searches were conducted that yielded several high power weapons. Keep in mind the age group of the crowd was under 20. Where are young people getting these types of weapons? As parents, how do you not know what kind of activities your child is involved in? It is past time for parents to get involved in their child’s activities.
- The ages of the victims are 10 – 18. At least one of the shooters was 15 years old! These are children running around downtown without the supervision of parents. Parents, where were you?
Being a parent is an extremely difficult job, at best, we mostly succeed by accident. We have allowed are parenting skills to become lax to non-existent. For the most part, our children are rude, disrespectful, mean, uneducated, and, unruly. Our ancestors did not endure their suffering to see our children evolve as they have.
Parents, as of today commit to the following:
- Get into your child’s business, better yet they are children, they do not have any business
- Demand that they go to school every day and maintain high standards
- You are not their friend stop acting like it
- Teach them to respect authority that includes: you, grandparents, neighbors, teachers, and police. Remember it takes a village to raise a child
- Stop using your children as weapons. Children need both parents equally and when you tear each other down remember your child is half of that other parent. Children do not deserve to carry this negative weight
- If you know your child is a bully, mean spirited, or has mental issues; get them help now
- Stop glorifying the criminal lifestyle. That may get them killed or jail or they may harm someone else. Unfortunately, you will bear the guilt of their actions
- Turn off the television, stay out of the clubs and tune into your children
To all of the young victims of Saturday evening, my tears are flowing. Please take care and be safe. Prayers are being sent up in Indianapolis and beyond.
**Please note: There are some parents doing an outstanding job raising their chidren. This article is not about you.
Leave your comment or email firstname.lastname@example.org