It is pertinent to note that long before the coming of the Messiah and after the exile, the Sopherim (or Scribes) who were the authorized revisers of sacred Scriptures altered the name of GOD in Scripture (The 134 Passages Where The Sopherim Altered, The Emendations of the Sopherim). They replaced “Yehovah” (or Jehovah; translated “LORD”) and “elohiym” (translated “God”) in many verses with “Adonai” (translated “Lord”). The word “Yehovah” or ‘LORD’, is considered to be the proper name of the one true GOD (Blue Letter Bible – Lexicon). It is not clear if these changes have had any adverse effects in our understanding of Scriptures since they were meticulously recorded by the Massorites (authorized custodians of Scriptures) in the Massorah and the original texts could always be reproduced. In addition, our Lord Messiah Yahshua criticized the Scribes for their misapplication and misinterpretation of Scriptures not for altering it (Mt. 23:1-36).
The first commandment is in agreement with the fact that there are other Gods, but the omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent and omnisapient GOD is highly exalted above all other Gods (Ps. 95:3; 97:9). He is called the GOD of Gods and the LORD of Lords (Deu. 10:17) because HE is the supreme deity who created all things and therefore the only one worthy of worship. This is the reason why worship of all other divine (supernatural) beings, all human rulers and judges who exercise GOD’s delegated authority on earth and on HIS behalf is forbidden; even though they bear HIS name in performing their assigned tasks, they should never be worshipped. The second commandment is not an expansion of the first commandment, but a stand alone commandment that is directed at false Gods (or idols); whereas the first commandment is directed at all forms of polytheism (including ditheism and tritheism).
GOD always provides the Church with reasons why HE expects certain things of the Church so that their faith is based on true knowledge. GOD claims exclusive right and monopoly to worship because of HIS unique and supreme deity as affirmed in the following passages: Deu. 4:35; Isa. 41:4; 42:8; 43:10-12; 44:6-8; 45:5-6, 21-22; 46:9-10; 48:12-13; Rom. 14:11; Rev. 1:8; Job 38:1-41:34. GOD declares that HE is the only true GOD and there is no divine being worthy of worship apart from HIM because:
1. HE is the first true God and the last; no God like HIM was formed before HIM and none was formed after HIM (Isa. 41:4; 43:10; 44:6; 48:12).
2. There is none (i.e. no other God) like HIM (Isa. 44:6, 8; 45:5-6, 21-22; 46:9).
3. HE alone laid the foundation of the earth and stretched out the heavens (Isa. 48:13; Job 38:1-41:34).
4. HE alone causes all things to happen (Isa. 41:4; 45:7).
5. No other divine being can declare or proclaim the future and bring it to pass the way HE does (Isa. 44:7-8; 45:21; 46:10).
6. Apart from HIM there is no savior and no just God (Isa. 43:11).
7. Being omniscient (all knowing), HE does not know of any other true God or rock apart from HIMSELF (Isa. 44:8; 45:22).
8. HE will not share HIS glory with any being, because HE called forth all things into existence (Isa. 42:8).
To be continued…..