In the sweltering Phoenix heat, leaving the house can be a big event, but homeschoolers may want some new venues during the summer for a change of pace. Why not check out some of the valley’s free offerings as a way to stay cool and learn some new things at the same time?
The Phoenix Heard Museum is home to Native American artifacts and history, and happens to be free for the community on Saturdays during July. Music, interactive activities, treasure hunts, book signings and free treats will help you and the family forget about the thermometer for a few hours while you increase your cultural IQ.
There are only two Saturdays left, so get your family or your homeschool group and check out these great activities. The museum is open 9:30-5:00, and the events begin at 10:30.
Saturday, July 24: “Chill Out!”
- Arctic Spirit exhibit: Inuit Art from the Albrecht Collection
- “Cool” hands-on Arctic artwork for the kids to make
- Every Picture Tells a Story full of hands-on in-gallery Arctic based activities
- More Hands-on Activities:
- Make cowrie Shell necklaces
- Paint polar bear pins
- Paint windchimes
- Dance performances by the Yellow Bird Dancers
- Book Signing and Official Release of the New Young American Indian StoryAdult Book American Indian Story
Saturday, July 31: “Four-Legged Friends“
- Look for animal designs on weavings, pottery, baskets and more.
- Hands-on activities:
- Decorate your own puppy,
- create horse backpacks,
- make a card using stamps
- Hoop dance performances by Lane and Tyrese Jensen
- Book signing by Mona Hodgson, author of Bedtime in the Southwest
Where to go: Heard Museum, 2301 N. Central Avenue
By the way, military families are free anytime, up through Labor Day.
- Homeschool 101 Free Resources: Alphabetical list of Phoenix area museums offering free admission
- Homeschool 101 Unit Studies: What do I need to include if I develop my own unit study materials?
- Homeschool 101 Activities: Harkins Theaters offer great summer movies for almost free
- Homeschool 101 Free Resources: 13 free Diamondback tickets, free bagels and ice cream! What a deal!
- Homeschool 101 Resources: AFHE convention-Children are a gift from God-July 23-24
May I help you answer your homeschool questions? Contact me by email and Let’s Talk!
Holly Craw Home Education Services
Promote Your Page Too