Mike Jones is the former male escort who in 2006 revealed that mega-church pastor and presidential confidant Ted Haggard had been his client for 3 years. After hearing about the case of Father Kevin Gray who allegedly embezzled $1.3 million from his church to support a lavish life style that included hiring male prostitutes, Jones wrote an opinion piece for The Daily Beast. Apparently Ted Haggard wasn’t the Colorado native’s only clerical client.
Here Jones reacts to the Father Gray case and talks about other priestly patrons:
Why am I not shocked? During the 1990s, when I worked as an escort in Denver, Colorado, I estimate at least 15 percent of my clientele were clergy or connected with the church in some way. There were one-timers and there were guys who came back again and again and again, and they were all the same: positively giddy when the encounter began, unable to look you in the eye as they left. The excitement that initially animated them was wholly overshadowed by the despondency and guilt that would overcome them as soon as it was over.
I can’t imagine the guilt they were feeling. Not only were they having sex with another man—a sin punishable by God, in their minds—but I believe many of them were doing exactly what Father Gray did: stealing from their own churches. Maybe not a million bucks, maybe not even so much that anyone would notice. But more than once I was paid for my services with a handful of crinkled ones and fives. I would think to myself, how could they take from their own church’s collection plate? The answer is simple and sad: addicts will do whatever they need to do to support their habit.
One has to wonder why, if homosexuality is a choice, so many clerics choose to act against the teachings of their religion. The full article by Mike Jones can be read here.
Thanks are owed to Hemant Mehta for the link and the inspiration for this article.
1) Surprise! A priest in the news who did not molest children
2) Wife says Ted Haggard is completely heterosexual
3) George Rekers is completely heterosexual (Part 1)
4) George Rekers is completely heterosexual (Part 2)
1) The cover of Mike Jone’s book, I Had To Say Something.
If you like my articles, you can click on “subscribe” at the top of the page and you’ll be notified when new ones are published.
You might also enjoy these:
- Catholic preschool refuses to reenroll child of gay parents
- DC archdiocese ends fostercare rather than serve gay couples
- Virgin Mary image found in a California soup pot
- Diverse groups reach consensus on religion in US law
- Minister’s wife starves herself to death
- Brain damage reveals links to spirituality