The 7th district covers the eastern and northeastern suburbs of metro Atlanta.
Northeast Atlanta Area Incumbent John Linder is retiring after nine terms in Congress. While only one Democratic candidate, Army veteran Doug Heckman, has declared for the deat, there are a whole bunch of candidates on the Republican side:
- State Rep. Clay Cox
- Rep. Linder’s Chief of Staff Rob Woodall
- Assistant district attorney and Gwinnett GOP Chair Chuck Efstration
- Business owner and flight attendant Jef Fincher
- Retiree Ronnie Grist
- Community activist Jody Hice
- Human Resources manager Tom Kirby
- CPA Tom Parrott
Republican Incumbent Rep. Don Balfour is facing challenges from Joe Anderson and Travis Bowden. Bowden has received many endorsements to unseat Balfour, who has come under fire at the end of this Congressional Session and for questionable trips and travel over the past two years.
Democrat Dr. Rashid Malik is unopposed.
H-98: Sugar Hill/Cumming/Buford/Suwanee (Incumbent Bobby Reese ® is running for GA-9)
Republicans Josh Clark and Wayne Hill are facing each other for this vacant seat, with no Democrat on the ballot.
H-101: Lawrenceville (Incumbent Mike Coan ® has been appointed to another position by Gov. Perdue)
There are two Republicans on the ballot. Buzz Brockway ran Gov. Perdue’s re-election campaign in 2006, and has written for Peach Pundit (often cited here) since 2005. Jesse Jones is an applications engineer from Suwanee.
H-102: Lilburn (Incumbent Clay Cox is running for GA-07)
Four Republicans are attempting to replace Rep. Cox in the state House: realtor Linda Carsten, attorney B. J. Pak, attorney Keith Royal, and retiree Steve Allen.
Democrat Porter Deal is unopposed.
Republican Incumbent David Casas faces a challenge from veteran and marketing director Steve Ramey. Democrat Allan Burns is unopposed.
Democrat incumbent Lee Thompson is unopposed in the primary. Three Republicans are attempting to wrest control of this seat – Valerie Clark, Timothy Swiney, and Gary Webb.
H-106: Snellville (Incumbent Melvin Everson (R) is running for Labor Commissioner)
Republicans Warren Auld and Brett Harrell are vying to keep the seat in Republican hands. Democrat Steffini Bethea is unopposed in the primary.
H-111: Walton County (Incumbent Jeff May (R) is running for the Public Sevice Commission)
Republicans Lee Rowell, Timmy Shelnutt, and Bruce Williamson are attempting to fill this vacant seat. No Democrats are on the ballot.
1. Unopposed candidates stump: July 1, 2010
2. Cobb GOP BBQ and Straw Poll: July 3, 2010
3. Southeast Georgia Races: GA-1, Brunswick, Waycross, St. Mary’s: July 6, 2010
4. Southwest Georgia Races: GA-2, Albany, Fort Valley, Columbus: July 7, 2010
5. West Georgia Races: GA-3: July 7, 2010
6. Central Georgia Races: GA-8 & GA-12: July 10, 2010
7. Central Georgia Races: GA-10: July 12, 2010
8. Atlanta: GA-5: July 13, 2010
9. East Atlanta: GA-4, July 14, 2010
10. Senate and Governor, July 16, 2010
11. Atlanta Suburbs, GA-7: July 18, 2010