So many parents request ways to make parenting easier…so many parents want to be more pleasant, happier, less angry, less stressed…
Well just in case you’d like to consider positive parenting….here are a few philosophies that positive parents live by:
Positive Parenting Philosophies….
It is our responsibility as positive parents to:
1. Love our children
2. Be as healthy mentally and physically as we can so we can be great parents
3. Help develop a healthy and positive self esteem in our children which is the foundation for motivation…
[Teach our children to love themselves and life ( a lot)]
4. Provide all basic needs – food, shelter, clothing, education, etc.
5. Teach our children how to think critically
6. Model responsible, respectful behavior for our children
7. Develop and maintain a healthy relationship with our children
8. Learn all we can about child development and parenting
9. Treat our children with respect
10. Ensure our children that we always love them even when they make mistakes, bad choices, or we do not like what they do
11. Teach our children to make good decisions for the right reasons..(i.e. – not to avoid getting caught)
12. Acknowledge the good choices they make regularly
13. Ignore the small stuff …( as long as it’s safe. For unsafe behaviors, follow a different strategy…do whatever must be done..haha!)
14. Develop an effective discipline system within our family
15. Provide appropriate information to children so they can practice thinking and making beneficial decisions
16. Teach our children to become who they want to become..(not who we want them to become)
17. Generally – Teach our children life lessons
18. Specifically – Teach our children that privileges result from responsible behavior
19. Commit to disciplining/teaching in a positive, effective manner
20. Be proactive not reactive
21. Always take your responsibility as a parent seriously and make it a priority
22. Always appreciate their life
23. and so much more!
One huge misconception should be made clear, positive parenting is NOT permissive parenting by any means, it is simply positive under all circumstance. Parents who master positive parenting learn to manage their emotions well and respond appropriately to all those parenting challenges in productive, teaching ways, which always results in positive outcomes.
Parents could give this some thought. Children will appreciate it and there is strong evidence that children responds positively to positive parents!