There you are at Meijer in the middle of aisle seven staring at the spices. Which one did she say she needed? You reach for your cell phone to shoot her a quick text but it’s dead. You could go back out to the car, hoping the car charger is out there and that you didn’t leave it at home again, or you could grab your brand new Freeloader solar charger and instantly recharge, make the phone call, and save dinner!
This handy little solar charger will soon become a mainstay for frequent travelers, especially those who don’t like to be tethered to a utility outlet. The Freeloader solar charger is portable, powerful, and perfect for charging all kinds of gadgets on the go. According to Solar Technology International, “Once fully charged Freeloader Pro is capable of delivering enough power to give a mobile phone 70 hours of standby time, 5000 page turns on an eBook or a 100% full charge for a digital camera battery.”
This device isn’t only for charging small electrical devices though, it is also capable of charging power hungry, high voltage devices such as MP4 players, portable DVD players and SLR camera batteries by switching its Multi voltage switch to the 9.5v setting. The power halo in the center of the charger gives a readout of the remaining charge in the freeloader battery.
There are optional “superchargers” that claim to charge the freeloader in half the time and consist of a set of flexible solar cell. It is a weather resistant unit supplied in a tough case with two innovative buckles and a Velcro attachment strap for secure fixing to a rucksack, travel bag, bike panniers etc. Weighing in at a featherweight 280 grams, the extra weight will barely be noticed.
If it isn’t a sunny day or if you need to charge the freeloader at night there are optional chargers that plug into the cigarette lighter of a car or wall plug. There are also additional charging tips for unique items like the Nintendo DSi and various Samsung and Blackberry phones. There is also a AA and AAA battery charger that can be connected to the freeloader via USB.
This is a perfect gift for a student returning to school at Michigan State University or Lansing Community College. Just imagine having this backup system just when their netbook runs out of juice or PDA stops in mid note. You’ll be a hero when they pull out that miracle fix.
Technical Specs for the Freeloader Pro
- 200mA premium quality crystalline solar cells
- 1600mAh environmentally friendly Li-ion battery – typical battery life is 2 years.
- Freeloader’s solar panels can charge its internal battery in as little as 8 hours or 3 hours when using the supplied USB charging cable
- Supplied with a Master Cable for connecting to a device or CamCaddy and for charging Freeloader Pro from a computers USB
- Supplied with ten adaptors to fit the following:
- iPod, iPhone, iPhone 3g, iPhone 3gs iTouch, Nano etc
- Nokia phones using both standard and mini adaptors (2 supplied)
- All current Samsung phones (2 supplied)
- All current LG phones
- All current Sony Ericsson phones
- Nintendo DS Lite
- Mini USB adaptor for Motorola phones, Blackberry and most smartphones, Garmin /
- SatMap and most GPS, Bluetooth headsets, PDA’s
4mm tip for Sony PSP, Archos and most MP4 players, 2 way radios, portable DVD players, e-books, digital cameras and PDA’s
- Impact resistant, rust free aluminium body.
- Freeloader holds its battery charge for up to 3 months
- Supplied with detailed user manual
Size – 150 x 63 x 20mm
Weight – 174g
CamCaddy (Included with FreeloaderPro)
• Max operating voltage – 9.5v
• Max battery depth – 67mm
Size – 130 x 71 x 30mm
Weight – 68g
All tech specs courtesy of Solar Technology International