Boy, are we lucky to live here – great growing weather and a whole slew of farmers’ markets in Oakland and the East Bay, most available year round. See below for a list of farmers’ market locations.
Saturday morning I shopped at the Grand-Lake farmers’ market at Grand Ave and Lake Park (9am – 2pm every Saturday year round), and came home with beautiful red and orange heirloom tomatoes, a red onion and fresh green jalapeno peppers, among other goodies.
Of course, I barely made it in the door before the boyfriend wanted something to snack on. I immediately thought of salsa – it’s quick and easy and celebrates the unmatched taste of fresh tomatoes.
Heirloom tomato salsa for two:
- 2 medium ripe fresh heirloom tomatoes, washed, stemmed and chopped in 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 small jalapeno, washed, stemmed, seeded and chopped fine (be careful not to rub your eyes while or after chopping)
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- Handful of cilantro (or fresh parsley, but cilantro is better), chopped. Cilantro stems are as tasty as the leaves, so chop them too (this is not true of parsley).
Put it all in a bowl. Sprinkle with a little sea salt, a tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, and a good squeeze of fresh lime juice. Mix gently and serve with tortilla chips. Recipe can be doubled, tripled, quadrupled.
Other ways to use fresh tomato salsa:
- Over scrambled eggs or over a cheese omelette
- Huevos rancheros: warm corn tortillas, fry two eggs each sunny side up, put eggs on tortillas, top with Heirloom Tomato Salsa, sprinkle with queso or grated cheddar.
- Over broiled fish, like snapper or cod or talapia.
- On toasted slices of baguette, as crostini
As promised, here’s a list of farmers’ markets in our area. This list is a work in progress: if you know of others I’ve missed, please clue me in at [email protected] Thanks!
FARMERS’ MARKETS IN OAKLAND AND EAST BAY:
Alameda: Taylor Ave and Webster St, Tuesday 9:30am-1pm year round, Thursday 4pm-8pm May-Sep
Old Oakland: Ninth St between Broadway & Clay, Friday 8am-2pm year round
Temescal: 5300 Claremont Ave (DMV lot), Sunday 9am-1pm year round
Montclair Village: LaSalle Ave at Moraga, Sunday 9am-1pm year round
Grand-Lake Oakland: Grand Ave and Lake Park, Saturday 9am-2pm year round
Berkeley: Center St at Martin Luther King Jr, Saturday 10am-3pm year round
Berkeley: Derby St at Martin Luther King Jr, Tuesday 2pm-7pm (winter 2pm-6pm)
Berkeley (all organic): Shattuck Ave at Rose St , Thursday 3pm-7pm year round
Castro Valley: Redwood Rd and Norbridge (BART), Saturday 9am-1pm May-Oct
Hayward: City Hall Plaza, 777 B St. ,Saturday 9am-1pm year round
For more info: Oakland farmers’ markets, Berkeley farmers’ markets, Urban Village farmers’ markets,