The Indiana State Fair opened on Friday August 6th and will run through August 22nd. Previous stories about the Train Ride opportunities for local residents have matched lively debates about the lyrics of tween music. Tweens want and need family time that offers the opportunity to talk and have fun together.
With many local schools starting on Wednesday, August 11th, plans for final celebrations are well underway. Parents will start the school year with an opportunity to decide if Drake, Selena Gomez or any of the Fair music artists will capture their resources and permission.
Aug. 13: Drake will perform at 7:30 p.m., with tickets ranging from $25-$45. Known to many because of his early Canadian success as a cast member for “Degrassi: The Next Generation” Drake is a mix of R&B and pop culture with a healthy dose of Hip Hop infusion. He is a young emcee who has had some of the year’s biggest hits. “Best I Ever Had” reached No. 2 on the Billboard charts, in addition to collaborations with Mary J. Blige and an infectious partnership that resulted in “Successful.”
Aug. 15: Selena Gomez & The Scene will hit the stage at 4 p.m., with modest tickets ranging from $15 – $17. Selena is known as the star of Disney’s “Wizards of Waverly Place” and captured hearts with “Ramona and Beezus” earlier this summer. Following in the footsteps of Demi Lovato, Selena is becoming a “Tween It Girl!”
Making Memories matters at any age. Take the opportunity to consider:
1. Have you listened to the lyrics of the popular songs by these artists? Try getting a sense of the music prior to granting permission to attend.
2. Has your back-to-school budget recovered from August investment? Make decisions based on the prioritized needs and what you are willing to invest in.
3. Are you prepared to go and attend the concert? Modeling good behavior and habits allows tweens to see what they have to look forward to.
4. What age is the right age? Your discernment should guide what activities you select for now and the future.
5. Have Fun. Middleschool years can be stressful for students and parents alike. Demonstrating the ability to balance work and play has a lifetime of benefits. Whether you select the entertainment at the Fair or you opt for local alternatives – make it a habit to spend intentional time with your middle school student. Enjoy!