Democrats came to power in 2007 with explosive rhetoric and promises of nirvana. Most practical, common-sense, conservatives knew the score. The top 5% of wage earners could not support the other 95% of society – regardless of the inane prattling of Congressional Democrats then nor Obama now.
We also knew the claim of “draining the swamp” by Nancy Pelosi after the passage of so-called sweeping changes in ethics rules, was nothing more than political posturing and that liberal Democrats would never be held to a higher standard of ethical conduct.
Spring forward through 2009 and 2010 after numerous charges of financial improprieties and sexual misconduct allegations against House and Senate members, the statement by Pelosi and that of her spokesperson that, “Lawmakers will be held to a higher standard”, was nothing short of laughable. These paragons of high morals have managed one weak tsk, tsk aimed at Senator Roland Burris (D) Ill, for lying to lawmakers about inappropriately offering to raise money for the corrupt Democratic Governor of Ill., Rod Blagojevich when Burris successfully lobbied for Obama’s vacated Senate seat.
It also gives comfort to crooked politicians when you have a sympathetic U.S. Attorney General deciding not to prosecute the ethically challenged Democrat House Representative from West Virginia, Alan Mollohan; surprisingly just before the House vote on Obama’s health care plan. He then promptly voted for the plan, even as his constituents screamed no. Fortunately, the good people of West Virginia took care of Mr. Mollohan after the House and the Justice Department refused to do their duty.
Of course, the cases involving Charley Rangel (D-NY), and Maxine Waters (D-Ca), two of the biggest socialists in Congress, will be unlike any others. They have been up to their ears in corruption for so many years their brazenness and flaunting of their ability to get away with anything they please makes their cases special. They know the voters will not vote them out, thus this arrogance of power is, in itself, corrupting.
These two will scream racism so loudly; it is highly unlikely that they will receive any significant punishment. Therefore, they will continue their merry socialistic jaunt through American justice.
Tax cheats, liars and outright scoundrels abound in congress and the White House since the Democrats assumed the reins. There are so many shady real estate dealings and people who cheat on their taxes among the liberal elite, that it has become impossible for Obama to find Cabinet members or Presidential advisers without resorting to calling his people “too good to keep out of government”, regardless of their crimes. Crimes, by the way, that would place ordinary citizens in severe legal jeopardy.
Drain the swamp? These people are so accustomed to sleazy government; it all seems perfectly natural standing waist deep in the fetid waters of corruption. They pay no more attention to the smell than one skunk would pay to another.