Ready to take your “Dancing with the Stars” enthusiasm out of your living room and into an actual dance studio? Cheryl Burke Dance has established three dance studios, all in California. The closest one to Los Angeles is the one in Laguna Niguel. The studio offers a free introductory private lesson.
The facilities new and located strip mall that includes plenty of parking. The floor is good with only one slightly squishy spot.
The atmosphere is friendly, including family friendly. We saw a group salsa class that included seniors, young adults and children. The refreshments were modest.
What I really liked was their attitude. The teacher we had for our free lesson, Paul Bond, was competent and personable. He asked us what we wanted to learn. We learned a little basic American waltz and a little Viennese waltz. He didn’t drill us because Ian and I learn fairly fast–it’s more a matter of muscle memory. When they took us in to discuss possible future lessons, they told us that because of how far away we lived, they recommended another studio.
On Fridays, they have a dance party which covered nightclub and even Argentine tango. Although we would not have considered going to this studio to learn Argentine tango, I understand that Burke took three weeks this summer to learn Argentine tango so that might change.
The studio does have events where Burke does show up, but mostly this isn’t about celebrity as much as it is truly about dancing.
Burke showed up for a special one-year anniversary party which included photos and autographs, live music, a professional dance show, games and prizes.
1830 17th Street
San Francisco, CA 94103
- Office Hours: 1pm – 9pm Monday through Thursday, 1pm – 10pm Friday
- Public Event Hours: 1pm – 9pm Monday through Thursday, 1pm – 10:30pm Friday, 11am – 12am Saturday, 10am – 4pm Sunday
- Practice: 1pm – 9pm Monday through Thursday, 1pm – 8pm Friday, 11am – 7pm Saturday, 10am – 4pm Sunday – $5 per person/per hour – $50 monthly pass
1400 N Shoreline Blvd #A
Mountain View, CA 94043
- Office Hours: 1pm-10 pm Mondays & Wednesdays, 1pm-11pm Thursdays & Sundays, 1pm & 12 midnight Fridays & Saturdays
- Public Event Hours: 1pm-10 pm Mondays & Wednesdays, 1pm-11pm Thursdays & Sundays, 1pm &12 midnight Fridays & Saturdays
- Practice: Cheryl Burke dance floors are available for practice every day. Cost is $10 per couple, per hour. We ask that you not practice weeknights after 7:00 due to limited floor space when classes and private lessons are in schedule.
28221 Crown Valley Parkway,
Laguna Niguel, CA 92677
- Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 1-10pm
- Public Event Hours: Monday-Friday, 1-10pm
- Practice: Practice available Monday-Friday, 1-10pm. $12 per 45 minutes to non-members. Members are free.