Today is National Ice Cream Pie Day and what better way to celebrate than choosing your favorite flavors of ice cream to make an ice cream pie? Easy to make, there’s no cooking involved in making this ice cream pie and it’s sure to impress everyone.
The idea is to choose ice cream flavors that vary in color to make a beautifully layered dessert. For this one, we chose cherry vanilla, pistachio and chocolate but you can certainly choose any ice cream flavor combination you fancy. Also, get creative with the crust and types of crushed cookies. For example, stir in 1/2 cup of finely chopped nuts to the crust before pressing it into the pan; drizzle some caramel ice cream topping over one of the layers of ice cream; or sprinkle toasted coconut on top. Whatever sounds good to you is going to make this ice cream pie a special treat.
Ice cream, of course, is always available at all local markets. Local Trader Joe’s sells pint-sized containers of natural ice cream and frozen yogurt at good prices. Your favorite gelato flavors can also be used to make this ice cream pie. Check out Gelato Classico in Campbell for a wide variety of delicious gelato flavors.
1 & 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (or substitute crushed vanilla wafers)
1/4 cup sugar
6 tablespoons butter, melted
oreo cookies, coarsely crushed (substitute other cookies if desired)
3 1-quart containers of three of your favorite flavors of ice cream, softened slightly
• In a bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and sugar.
• Stir in melted butter until crumbs hold together.
• Press the mixture into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate.
• Spread one of the softened ice creams carefully over the graham cracker crust.
• Spread another of the softened ice creams over the fist layer.
• Scatter the crushed cookies evenly over the second ice cream layer, reserving a few cookie crumbs to sprinkle on top of the finished pie.
Spread the remaining softened ice cream over the crushed cookies.
• Sprinkle the reserved cookie crumbs over the top of the pie.
• Freeze for at least 2 hours before serving.
Garnish the ice cream pie with fresh fruit and/or whipped cream before serving.
For other great frozen treats, try:
Here are some other wonderful frozen treats to enjoy:
• Waffle Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
• Peach Semifreddo with Fresh Blackberry Sauce
• Incredible Carrot Cake Ice Cream
This recipe was adapted from one submitted to a national recipe contest sponsored by Turkey Hill Ice Cream.
For e-mail alerts of new articles from the San Jose Easy Meals Examiner, visit my home page and click on the Subscribe button at the top. And be sure to check out Margie’s Easy Meals for great recipes, weekly meals plans with corresponding grocery lists and easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions designed to help people with little or no cooking experience.