The Fourth of July weekend is here and everyone wants to party. Putting together a cookout however, can be expensive, especially if one family is footing the entire bill. Sharing expenses and finding local deals can lower the stress accompanied with holiday parties, and ensure an enjoyable star-spangled 4th of July weekend.
The Stop & Shop sale prices are going on right now. Weekly circular specials started today, July 2 and goes through Friday, July 8, 2010. Check here for Super Stop & Shop’s complete weekly circular.
Cheap 4th of July Holiday Cookouts, Picnics and Parties
Plan the cookout or backyard party to coincide with local fireworks, that way there’s cheap instant entertainment. A list of local Rhode Island fireworks can be found at the Providence Journal. Have each friend bring a dish to share. A smart way to do this is to assign families with names beginning with A to M bring a salad to share, and families with names beginning with N to Z can bring a dessert. Have everyone bring their own meat, and you supply paper goods and drinks. Any alcoholic drinks should be BYOB to cut down on not just drinking, but also the expense. Booze can really jack up the price of the party, and the whole idea is to have a great party on a budget.
Local Super Stop & Shop Supermarkets Have Cookout Items on Sale
Now is the time to buy cookout items. The local Super Stop & Shop in Warwick and Providence, Rhode Island has everything needed for 4th of July Menus on sale. They even have LP Propane gas refills from Blue Rhino.
Extra savings: Buy 6 gallons of milk and get the 7th gallon free with your Stop & Shop card.
4th of July Bargain Menu
- Hamburg: 90% Lean Ground Beef, $3.99 pound
- Hot dogs: Ball Park Beef Franks, Buy 1, Get 1 FREE, All Varieties. 12.8 Oz-16 Oz Pkg
- Kielbasa or Smoked Sausage: Hillshire Farm, All Rope Varieties, 14 Oz-16 Oz Pkg, Buy 1, Get 1 FREE
- Hamburger and Hot Dog Rolls: 8 Pack for 99¢ each
- Pre-Packaged Deli Salads: 3-lb Potato Salad, Macaroni Salad, Cole Slaw or Potato & Egg Salad, (Fridays and Saturdays Only), 2 for $10 with your card
- Sweet Corn: 12 ears for $1.99
- Watermelon: 13 to 16 pounds for $3.99 each
- Pepsi Products: 4 Pepsi 12 packs for $10.00
- Pound Cake Loaf: Save $1.00 off regular retail, $2.99 ea with your card
- Strawberry Shortcake: 8-Inch Single Layer Made with Real Whipped Cream, $9.99 each with your card
- Edy’s Ice Cream: 2 for $5.00, All Flavors, 48 Oz Container, with your card
- Paper Plates: Stop & Shop Designer Plates, Cups or Bowls, Pkg. of 24-80, 2 for $4.00
- Plastic Cups: 16 Oz. Pkg. of 50, 2 for $5.00
Local Super Stop & Shop Supermarkets
Super Stop & Shop – #0725
333 West River Street
Providence, RI 02909
Super Stop & Shop – #0709
300 Quaker Lane
Warwick, RI 02886
Super Stop & Shop – #0726
2470 Warwick Avenue
Warwick, RI 02889
Super Stop & Shop – #0716
90 Frenchtown Road
Hunt River Commons
North Kingstown, RI 02852
Save Money on Produce at Farmers’ Markets
Local Farmers’ Markets have great deals on fresh strawberries, corn on the cob, and most salad fixin’s needed for a great cookout. The freshest produce can be purchased at Rhode Island area Farmers’ Markets like Goddard Park Farmers’ Market, Colt State Park Farmers’ Market, Haines Park Farmers’ Market, and Fishermens’ Park Farmers’ Market.
Sources: Providence Journal; Stop & Shop.com
Photos: Donna Diegel