We’ve written numerous articles about the best Jacksonville has to offer. Best date night restaurant, best restaurant with a view, best Asian, Mexican, and Italian, just to name a few. This week, we’ll talk exclusively about an All-American favorite: the burger!
Jacksonville restaurants offer a wide variety of burger choices. There are large burgers, small burgers, fancy burgers, and even burgers made of bison. The choice can be difficult…but that’s what we’re here for. Take a look at our list of the top five places for a burger in Jax.
5. Five Guys-It’s hard to resist the pure, greasy, goodness emanating from this burger joint. Five Guys keeps it simple and doesn’t mess with any of this ultra-healthy stuff (except that they cook all their burgers in peanut oil). This place serves juicy, large burgers that shouldn’t leave you hungry. If diners don’t want a huge burger then they can choose one of Five Guys’ “little” burgers. Five Guys has six locations in the Jacksonville area, which can be seen here.
Five Guys starts with a base of either a hamburger, cheeseburger, bacon burger, or bacon cheeseburger. Next, patrons can choose from a variety of free toppings including: onions, lettuce, pickles, tomatoes, jalapenos, green peppers, BBQ sauce, and grilled mushrooms. Fries are available in Five Guys Style–a thick cut, salted fry–or Cajun style. This burger joint has been Zagat rated every year since 2001.
4. The Loop-This Jacksonville chain restaurant labels itself a “pizza grill.” However, they also serve great “loop burgers.” The burgers aren’t overly thick and come on a fluffy, seeded bun. They are fire-grilled and go well with their large steak fries. Varieties of the loop burger include: mushroom ‘n swiss, cheddar, swiss, bleu cheese, and apple smoked bacon with cheddar.
3. III Forks-Many likely think of III Forks as an upscale steak restaurant, so it may seem unusual to see it on this list. However, III Forks has a tasty bar menu that includes some reasonably priced, delicious items like the prime burger. This upscale burger can be ordered in the bar or the dining area and goes for $14. The meal comes on a toasted bun with lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles, and seasoned fries. During happy hour, which runs every day from 5pm-7pm, diners can order low-priced drinks and appetizers and leave for under $20 (click here for more information on how to enjoy fine dining at a low cost in Jacksonville).
2. J. Alexander’s-One of our favorite Southside restaurants, J. Alexander’s serves large portions of food that are also big on taste. We recommend the prime rib and grilled pork tenderloin entrees. J. Alexander’s also takes great pride in their burgers. The restaurant grinds fresh chuck beef every day into hand-pattied burgers. The burger choices include the old-fashioned cheeseburger ($10), and bacon swiss burger ($11). They are all served with lettuce, tomatoes, red onions, pickles, mayonnaise, and mustard.
1. Ted’s Montana Grill-Ted’s is our choice for the best restaurant for burgers in Jacksonville. Their bison burgers are second to none. Ted’s also offers fresh certified Angus beef. However, we greatly prefer the less greasy and lighter tasting Great Range Brand bison. Out of the 20 different burger options, our favorite would have to be the George’s Cadillac. This large burger comes with BBQ sauce, cheddar cheese, and bacon, along with Vidalia onions, lettuce, pickles, and a thick sliced tomato. The burgers also come with a choice of side. We typically choose the fries, which are moderately thick and not overly salty.