The Dallas Derby Devils http://derbydevils.com love to party with their fans. After every game, you can find the Devils drinking, eating and carrying on together. Whether it be at the bowling alley bar across the street from Forum Roller World or at ZuRoma’s http://www.zuroma.net/ inside NYTEX, these girls love to keep the night rolling until asked to move the party elsewhere.
Here are the Top 7 reasons to hang around after a game:
1. Drinking – Derby girls aren’t allowed to drink until the venue is clean. By the time they get to the alcohol, they are ready to celebrate, whether they won or lost. While all the skaters do not drink, most will accept the offer to buy her a drink. One word of advice: Don’t challenge her to a drinking contest. It will just get ugly.
2. Food – Another thing about a skater fresh off the track, she’ll probably be hungry. Offering her food will at least guarantee her hanging around long enough to congratulate her, or console her, on the game. Be aware though, derby girls come in both omniverous and herbivorous varieties, so she may not be interested in your “all-the-meat-fit-to-eat” pizza! Don’t take it personal.
3. Dance with a derby girl – Lots of good music is necessary for any derby after party. Despite the intensity of the sport, most derby girls will still have plenty of energy left for dancing. If you are lucky enough to get her to dance, keep in mind, her derby sisters are liable to invade your dance space. Again, don’t take it personal, there is plenty of derby love to go around.
4. Group dancing or singing – Expect at any point of the party for a derby girl to spontaneously break out into song, or abandon you to go dance with the group. It can’t be helped. For example: If you are talking to a Death Row Rumbler when “Don’t Stop Believing” by Journey is played, she may start singing along (often loudly) and may run to join her teammates on the dance floor. And if “Cupid Shuffle” by Cupid is played, just step aside or join in because that one attracts the skaters, coaches and fans like no other.
5. Talk to a derby girl – Derby girls love to talk about everything. You can find girls talking about subjects ranging from the game to microbiology. These skaters have wide ranges of interests and as the alcohol flows and the adrenaline wears off, you are likely to hear conversations about just about anything.
6. Talk to a derby guy – Yes, guy. There is a local men’s derby league in the DFW area known as the Dallas Deception http://www.deceptionderby.com/. Many of the guys are coaches, refs and volunteers for the Derby Devils and like to party just as much as their female counterparts. The guys from the Deception are happy to analyze the game with the fans as well as trying to recruit new skaters from their ranks.
7. Spontaneous contests – On more than one occasion, at the after-party, there are spontaneous leg or arm wrestling challenges that break out. Derby girl on derby girl contests are very popular. Inevitably there is a fan or two that wants to challenge a skater to a match. The derby girl often emerges victorious, giving the challenger a great story to tell around the water cooler on Monday.
To sum it all up, if you want to have a really good after-party with the Derby Devils, get to the location as soon as the game is over. Stock your table with a pitcher and cups. Order some food and sit back and wait for them to arrive. Oh, and tipping the DJ isn’t a bad idea either.
Your next opportunity is August 28th. The Season Championship will be played that night at NYTEX, 8851 Ice House, North Richland Hills.